We have studied this basics about veins in our school days that veins are major part of our circulatory system which carry blood towards our heart. It contains deoxygenated blood coming from tissues to heart is carried in veins. There few important things which one must know about veins.
Ten things you should know about veins are as follows:
- 1. Veins are elastic tubes or vessels that carry blood from your tissues or organs of the body back to the heart.
2. They are usually situated closer underneath the skin.
3. Each vein is made up of 3 layers:
A layer of membranous tissue inside
A layer of smooth muscles in middle
A layer of connective tissue outside
4.Veins are different from arteries. But both of them are important for the blood flow within the body.
5. After oxygen and nutrients are delivered to the body tissues by the arteries and capillaries a network of venules and veins carry blood and waste products back to the heart.
6. Venules are smaller tubes who pick the deoxygenated blood and transfer it to veins which carry it to heart.
7. The veins throughout the body support many systems and are important for cardiovascular health and many functions of blood.
8. Veins are strong and flexible but can be affected by varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency, deep vein thrombosis etc. 10 Things you must know about Veins
9. Deep vein thrombosis is a clot inside the vein. It occurs usually post surgery, prolonged hospitalization, immobility, or side effects of oral contraceptive pills. While varicose veins are enlarged and tortuous. Varicose veins are commonly seen in leg with people who do standing work for long time.
10. Adapting to healthy lifestyle and treatment you can prevent and manage these diseases.
by DR MANISHA R DEOKAR in HEART HEALTH